Monday, March 2, 2015

Home

What does "home" mean?

My memories of Israel are more vivid and real to me than this place I’ve been “living” since I returned to the States almost four years ago. Choosing where to settle down was hard. I felt a pull to live in Israel. I was also… afraid of making a mistake. So I made the sensible, safe choice.

Since then, constantly longing for Israel, I've had to remind myself again and again that all my life I dreamed of having a home. And I have one. There is a park in front and state land behind. It has a nice kitchen and space for tea parties and dinner guests. My cat and I can curl up on comfortable furniture and we go outside to watch hummingbirds, songbirds, hummingbird moths, and the occasional hawk.

Home. Inigo Montoya said, “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

I thought a home was a building, but now I wonder if it means the land and people you belong to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!