Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Aliyah – The Waiting Stage

Cover of Day After Night
by Anita Diamant.
Nefesh b’Nefesh promotes itself as an organization that facilitates immigration to Israel. You've probably seen their beautiful ads and been amazed by all the things they promise to do to bring Jews home. 

So far, NBN has not impressed me.

In short:

The only things you can expect in return for your $50 application fee is the application itself and having someone submit the application to the Jewish Agency for you. After Nefesh b'Nefesh submits your application, you will have to resubmit it yourself and obtain additional documentation.

No one at NBN will be able to answer any of your questions. So, if you’d like to make aliyah, make sure you know someone who has already made aliyah or someone who is currently living in Israel. They can be more helpful than your “personal Aliyah Coordinator” or anyone else at NBN.

Details:

2014

After submitting my aliyah application, I tried to do some research. The NBN website did not have sufficient information about ulpans or about Israeli medical plans. (Links to medical sites in Hebrew do not count as sufficient information.)

When I asked my “personal Aliyah Coordinator” about these topics, she referred me back to the website. Annoying.

Then, a Nefesh b’Nefesh representative told me that my rabbi’s letter was “insufficient” and that I would be required to submit additional passports. I received similar e-mails from a number of different NBN representatives over several months. I asked what my rabbi should add to his letter or what I could do about owning only one passport, but none of them responded. Frustrating!

I had begun to feel more settled and content especially after finally having obtained employment, so I didn't continue to bug NBN. 

Many months later another NBN representative e-mailed me. Apparently, my rabbi's letter and single passport were no longer a problem; he informed me that the only thing left for me to do was submit a personal essay. (My bad; I had been hoping to avoid that requirement; I detest writing personal essays.) After I drafted and submitted the essay, he wrote that my application was ready to go.

I had, by this time, obtained what initially seemed like better employment. However, a few of my coworkers were unabashedly antisemitic (one stood in the hallway and shouted "Heil Hitler") and my boss, a messianic, had engineered her boss's termination because she wanted the position.

I asked that NBN rep when I would have an interview with The Jewish Agency (the organization that is responsible for aliyah). He did not know and wrote, “It's best to speak to your personal Aliyah Coordinator that has been assigned to you.”

So I asked her when my interview would be. She responded, “If you have not scheduled this yet, you may do so by calling or emailing their main office in your region. Your representative can be found at the following link.” Why hadn't she told me that sooner?

Of course the link that she provided didn’t work. Frustrating!

March 2015

I tracked down the contact information for the nearest Jewish Agency office. The woman there scheduled my phone interview for the next day—on March 19th. Things were finally moving!

After arguing with me about my age for several minutes and asking me several questions about Jesus (?!), the Jewish Agency representative asked for additional documents, including my tax records and an additional essay about my conversion, this time detailing each step of my conversion process.

I don’t know why NBN hadn’t included those documents on its list of requirements, but I had no trouble providing them, so no big deal. I told her that I wanted to live in an absorption center and said that she recommended the one in Kiryat Yam. There wasn’t much information about that absorption center on the NBN website, so I asked my NBN “personal Aliyah Coordinator” the following questions:
1. Is the absorption center a community or just a collection of apartments—are there group activities or responsibilities?

2. How much is the rent and how long can I stay there?

3. The NBN website says there is room for 300 people. Will there be people from many countries? (The fewer English speakers, the better, but I don’t want to be the only American with 299 people who are all from the same country.)

4. The NBN website says that absorption center's ulpan is only two days a week. Would I be able to reach the Haifa Regional Ulpan on bus or foot?
My “personal Aliyah Coordinator” couldn't answer and referred me back to the website!!! Frustrating. (Luckily, a friend in Israel was able to get some information for me. That absorption center is dedicated to Ethiopian immigrants. I decided I did not want to learn to speak Hebrew with an Ethiopian accent.)

The standard ending of all NBN emails is “Please let me know if you need assistance.” That statement does not mean assistance will be forthcoming.

Per the instructions I received during my phone interview, I immediately contacted the shaliach (according to a friend, the word means government official but used to mean delivery person) who would conduct my in-person interview. The shaliach wrote, “I will be happy to schedule the interview can it be beginning of May?” A long wait, but at least there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Certain that it would take at least three months to sell my house, I put it on the market. (Again: my bad-- really, really bad!) My house sold in five days! During the thirty-day closing period, I repeatedly attempted to get a precise date for my in-person interview, but received no response to my calls or e-mails. Terrifying!

April 2015

After Passover, I still couldn’t reach the shaliach, so I asked my “personal Aliyah coordinator” if she would find out why. She wrote:
Please let me know which phone number you are trying to reach the Shaliach in Tucson.

You had a phone interview but they can’t send off your aliyah file until you present your original documents. [I know! That’s why I want to schedule an appointment!]

So you understand the timeframe [sic], once you have your interview and present your original documents it can 4-8 weeks to get aliyah approval and another 2 weeks to get your aliyah visa before you fly. [Why didn't you tell me that sooner?]

You might have to find a place to stay if you have to move out of your house you sold. [Duh!]
As requested, I sent my “personal Aliyah Coordinator” the contact information I had for the shaliach, assuming she would help me get an appointment. Instead, she simply wrote: “Have you tired [sic] both email and phone number.” Not helpful!

May 2015

I had to move out of my house on May 19th, two months after my phone interview. There was still no word on when I’d get my personal interview. Frightening!

In desperation, I sent one e-mail to everyone I’d ever corresponded with at NBN and The Jewish Agency. As they say, a squeaky wheel gets the grease. The shaliach responded immediately and scheduled my interview. The interview was on June 4, a month later than I'd anticipated when I put my house on the market.

June 2015

I gave the shaliach all my original paperwork and she seemed satisfied. She made more copies of my documents (there must be at least three copies of each document floating around NBN and The Jewish Agency) and told me I’d hear from someone in four to six weeks. She recommended the absorption center in Karmiel.

July 2015

About a month later, someone new, a “pre-aliyah advisor” at NBN, called me. She asked when I’d like to leave for Israel. I asked her when I might get my visa. She said that Nefesh b'Nefesh has a contact in The Jewish Agency who could tell her where in the system my application was. Yay!

I e-mailed her several days later to find out what she had learned from her contact. “We have no way of knowing what is happening within the Jewish Agency unfortunately.” B-b-b-but you said...!

So I’m waiting. Impatiently.

A friend made aliyah four weeks after his interview. It has been almost five weeks since my interview. But if the information my “personal Aliyah Coordinator” gave me is correct, I should receive word that my application has been approved by July 14th and I should receive my visa by August 13th. (Won’t they need my passport before they can issue a visa…?)

So I’m waiting.

I’ve taken time during this hiatus to take a workshop in Washington, visit friends in Quebec and the U.S., I’ve gone kayaking, I've done a lot of hiking, and I’ve discovered hot yoga, but mostly: I’m going stir crazy!

* * *

Addendum: as of July 23, it has been seven weeks since my in-person interview. I should hear something by next week, right?

Jul 30 - eight weeks since my interview (the maximum amount of time, supposedly, to get approval)

Aug 13 - ten weeks since my interview (the maximum amount of time to get approval and an aliyah visa)

August 26 - I emailed my “pre-aliyah advisor" and asked why there seems to be a delay. Her answer doesn't even make sense: “I can find no indication.” Of what? No indication that there's a delay? No indication that I'll ever get a visa? The shaliach said my approval would arrive in four to six weeks! I want to know what's going on. She asked if I had contacted the shaliach. Duh!

September 17 - I finally got a response from someone at the Jewish Agency (by sending everyone an email-- the squeaky wheel again). She has not submitted my application for review!

Three months ago, she and the shaliach both agreed I had submitted ALL necessary documentation. Now she will only submit my application after I give her another document. The document she wants is one I specifically asked about it back in March, the one she said didn't matter!

I have to wait until after the HHDs to get a letter from the local rabbi. Demoralizing and yet... could aliyah be within my reach? Dare I get my hopes up? Too late, my hopes are already up!

September 18 - Wow! Nefesh b'Nefesh does have ONE useful page on its website: a Shipping Guide.

Oct 28 - The story has changed again! I'm furious at the obvious lie!

On September 17, the Jewish Agency representative wrote that she had *not* sent my application in for review because it was missing a document (the one she had said wasn't necessary).

Today, she wrote that she has sent it in for approval *again* and added that she “asked for a rush on it because of your housing situation.” Situation?! This isn't a situation; it's a financial disaster!

Okay. If the information my "personal Aliyah Co-ordinator" gave me is correct, I should get my approval no later than December 23rd.

I keep thinking that no Israeli would have put up with all this nonsense for any length of time! Maybe I don't have the chutzpah to live in Israel.

November 2015 - Tired of homelessness and hoping to find work, I rented an apartment in Tucson and promptly got very, very sick.

December 23 - Nope. My "personal Aliyah Co-ordinator" was wrong. No aliyah approval.

January 29, 2016 - My aliyah approval arrived! Unfortunately, I can't live in an absorption center. One person said it's because I'm over thirty-five another said that it's because I'm American. (Why didn't anyone at the Jewish Agency or Nefesh b'Nefesh know about those restrictions?)

Once I'm healthy again, I will apply for a visa, a process which is supposed to take just two weeks. The visa will be good for six months.

April 1, 2016 - I contacted a Nefesh b'Nefesh rep and begged him for help.
Since I didn't get into the absorption center, how do I find housing while I'm outside of the country? Why does the website's Jerusalem ulpan list only include ulpanim for retirees, religious women, and blind people? Is the shipping company correct; must I purchase a 200-cubic-foot shipping container for ten boxes? The tour guide school listed on the website requires that a non-refundable payment for two year's tuition accompany the application for admission; is this standard practice? Will I apply for medical insurance and aliyah benefits at the airport? What offices will I have to visit (and when) to follow up on medical insurance and aliyah benefits?
April 4, 2016 - The supervisor promised to help and wrote that "your new Aliyah advisor will be assigned to you over the coming days."

April 19, 2016 - I still do not have an Aliyah advisor, so I wrote a nasty note to the supervisor. Hm... may have burned some bridges.  
It would be LAUGHABLE if it weren't so frustrating. It has been two weeks and you have not kept your promise to assign me an aliyah advisor. What a worthless organization you run!
May 24, 2016 - Last week, I contacted someone at NBN to request a seat on the August flight. No response, so I had to resort to another mass email. It turns out that you're required to rent an apartment before you arrive. A few months ago, a NBN "Go North" representative told me I was nuts when I was trying to do that. In any case, don't you think NBN should inform olim of requirements in advance? A friend in Israel told me to use his address, so I did-- but what nonsense!

August 16, 2016 - I received my visa some time ago and, today, applied for the September 21 aliyah flight! I'll get a confirmation letter Friday, August 19th. (I hope.) If not, I'm going to buy my own ticket.

August 18, 2016 - Someone at NBN sent me a "welcome to Nefesh b'Nefesh" letter. What the...?

I'd love to get some of the help she offered, so I emailed her back. Received an automated response that she'll be back in the office on August 22.

August 24, 2016 - I'd been sleepless for several days worried about whether there was a seat for me on the flight. Then I got some news from the people who will be adopting my cat that made my tired mind panic, so I asked the NBN flight advisor not to book me on the flight.

I hadn't heard from NBN, but apparently NBN had booked me on the flight. Yesterday, they took me off the flight-- at my request and, thankfully, did not fine me $2,000.

E-mailed her back today, said all was well, and asked if there were still seats on the flight.

August 28, 2016 - The flight advisor contacted me. She won't put me on a flight because she thinks the address of my friend's apartment is a hotel. (My friend disagrees.) She told me to contact the "welcome letter woman" when I have housing plans.

So I did contact that woman. I mentioned that I might buy my own ticket. She wrote I shouldn't do that (but didn't explain why not). She's going to call tomorrow to help me.

August 29, 2016 - This is her idea of help? She didn't call; she sent an email today and suggested, that if I buy my own ticket, I should then come back to North America and take a subsidized aliyah flight.

Am I made of money? The goal is to get there! I wonder if NBN gets paid to fill aliyah flights?

We exchanged some more e-mails today. She is going "to look into this" for me and confirm that my friend's apartment is not a hotel. I hope!

September 3, 2016 - 5 days later... did I actually believe that someone at NBN was going to help me? Will I never learn?

I've been talking to strangers online and now I have a list of the offices to visit in Israel, but also a general consensus that I shouldn't do it alone. I also learned that not all absorption centers turn away folks over 35, so I've requested a call from the Jewish Agency to see if I can get into one. (Surely NBN can't say that an absorption center isn't a "solid housing plan.")

September 4, 2016 -  What a pleasant shock! The lady at NBN emailed me today! She had kept her promise to look into my friend's address! What have I done to deserve such excellent service? (That's sarcasm, by the way.)

But she couldn't simply say "you were right and we were wrong." She sent this:
We appreciate you sending the address of your friend. Once we receive an email from him confirming that you may stay at his place upon arrival, we will expedite booking of your flight.
New requirements, just for me! Ha ha! My friend e-mailed her immediately, so all should be well.

1 comment:

  1. This is, as you say, just beyond Frustrating! You'd think an organization such as this could get itself... well... organized? I do hope that at this point things will be move along quickly and smoothly as you must be about at wit's end! Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!