Sunday, January 12, 2014

Hestia - a little more


In an earlier post about Hestia, I wondered if she found the flame inside herself when she was trapped inside her father's stomach. Was it her sole focus and reason for surviving during her years in the dark?

I am no storyteller but I did get an impression:


Alone in the dark, gradually becoming aware of something… a tiny flame beside her. She cups her hands around it, holds it close to her heart, and begins to nurture it. 
A seed.

[EDIT: There is a midrash, that an angel comes to every child in the womb, bearing a candle by which it teaches the child Torah. Before the child leaves the womb, the angel touches the child's upper lip, leaving a dent there, a philtrum, and causing the child to forget all it has learned.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!