Sunday, November 25, 2012

What Is The Point of Your Spiritual Practice?


I've been watching YouTube videos posted by MIRTHandREVERENCE. They are very interesting and remind me of my "pagan days." I wanted to ask her what rituals I should do and then realized how silly that would be. I can ask her questions, but I can't ask her to tell me what to do.

I'm taking charge. So my first question for myself is, "What spiritual practices do I want to do?" I already have a few. They may be a good beginning, or they may be too many and too disparate. If I figure out why I like these things, perhaps I'll gain some idea of what else I should do.

I light a candle on my stove (hearth) every morning. There is an image of Hestia there because I want that archetypal energy in my new home.

Earlier this year, a woman in the Gaian Tarot Circle, Maurie, posted pictures of her shrine, and inspired me to create a few of my own, to Hestia, Earth/Gaia, my ancestors, and the elements.

Walking is a spiritual practice for me. In the past, hiking in the woods every day gave me a sense of peace and of being aligned with the rhythms of nature. My walks in Jerusalem still fill my dreams. A recent article by another Gaian Tarot Circle companion made me realize that walking is a meditation practice. 

I work with tarot cards because I think it’s important to exercise your intuition; if you don't use it, your lose it. Working with the cards makes me aware of when I need to be more in tune. The earth-based spirituality that inspires the Gaian Tarot appeals to me, but I also read with the Robin Wood Tarot.

Two days ago, another video by MIRTHandREVERENCE made me think of two of the animal spirit guides that were introduced to me last fall.

I don't have a Buddhist meditation practice, but started reading The Heart of the Buddha’s Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh. He encourages us to embrace our suffering and also "to touch deeply the things that bring you peace and joy." Buddhist meditation, however, is intimidating to me.

I also light yahrtzeit candles and Hanukkah candles, but choose not to light Shabbat candles. And I'm encouraging myself to traif up my fleishig dishes, which has been oddly difficult.

I'll continue these practices, but I probably won't start meditating. I should resume the "healing my sleep ritual" that helped me so much in September.

What is the goal of doing these things? 

They bring some grace and peace into my life. They cheer me up. No higher goal than that. And perhaps that's enough.

What spiritual practices speak to you? Why do you do them?



2 comments:

  1. I like your altars...very pretty. I have an altar I *try* to stand in front of every day and say hello to my Gods/Goddesses, even if only for a few moments. It's my way of making even a small connection. You've inspired me to try harder to do this more regularly! I think it is so important to have at least one thing we do regularly on our spiritual path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both sitting meditation and writing practice have a lot in common in my experience and they both challenge me to sit with myself in a place of non-judgement and compassion. The walking...oh you KNOW how I love my walking! There are different ways to have walking be a form of meditation. One is to simply work on being present in the walk, observing all that is around you rather than getting lost in the head... so not easy some days! But again self-compassion, non-judgement and just pulling my attention back to what is around me over and over... what a practice! Another form is one that Thich Nhat Hanh (my most favorite Buddhist teacher!) talks about in his book on mindfulness. It has so many wonderful practices in it.. I really recommend that book. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!