Wednesday, December 9, 2015

A New Beginning

The stress of the last few months took its toll; shortly after I moved into my (very nice) apartment in Tucson, I had to go to an urgent care clinic. The antibiotics have helped quite a bit, but I'm very worn out and not accomplishing much.

Yesterday, I attended a really good Torah study at one of the Conserative shuls. One of the last things we discussed was Joseph's wife, Asnat, and why the rabbis decided she must have been Dinah's daughter. All of Israel's children needed to be in Egypt for redemption, so the two "half-tribes" of Ephraim and Menashe "must" be the grandsons of Dinah as well as the sons of Joseph. 

(I'd never noticed that the word Yisrael includes the first letter of each matriarch's and partriarch's name.) 

In the afternoon, I ran some important errands and unpacked the fleishig dishes. It could have been a productive evening... instead, after setting up my wifi, I surfed for many unproductive hours. Slept late this morning and somehow accomplished nothing today except the purchase of a table to use as a desk. Just that little bit has worn me out so I will wait until next Tuesday to see what the Talmud study group is like.

There are three more Torah study groups and I plan to attend. They meet on Wednesday and Shabbat.

The rabbi at one other shul invited me to join them for services this erev Shabbat. Yesterday, someone warned me they are "very" Reform and continued on to one of those superiority rants, so I plan to like that community very much.

And this coming Shabbat morning, another Reform shul is having services and a hike in Sabino Canyon.

Haven't seen much of Tucson yet, but I already know I'll like it a lot! People are friendly.

Chanukah has been a self-dedication for me.

I've decided to spend this year pursuing things that may seem impractical: studying Hebrew, learning Torah, community service, writing, hiking, and Kohenet training.  

November 27

Last Friday, preparing for Shabbat, I put my pre- and post-Deuteronomist Judaisms side by side. I wonder how my altar will change over the coming year.

December 13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!