Friday, December 25, 2015

Handmaiden of a Northern Goddess

Loom and Thread by Carl Larsson

How do I reconcile worshiping only HaShem and his Shekhinah with my awareness that other gods are real? I don't. Not "all the gods are one god" and the gods of other tribes are worth talking to.

I've been working with just one exercise in a book by Raven Kaldera and Galina Krasskova. Raven maintains an online shrine dedicated to the gods of his Northern Tradition.

An aspiration this morning took me to Raven's shrine to light a candle to a goddess. Who are Frigg's handmaids, I wondered. The word "permission" drew me and I learned the story of the goddess Lofn. Her story was lost to people until Linda Demissy asked the Handmaidens to share it with her.

It's a good story, not just for star crossed lovers, but for anyone seeking "right love." You should read it here.

This is a prayer Linda wrote for those who seek Lofn's counsel.
I am the child in chains, chafing to be free.
I am the woman wounded, by the wrath of my chosen.
I am the kid expecting a beating, cannot run or fight.
I am the boy of bravery, become a bully to feel strong.

I am the wife beaten to death, wondering why as I die.
I am the heart humiliated, who has no hope of help.
I am the one repeatedly raped, what did I do wrong?
I am the son hiding his bruises, so shame will stay secret.

I am the victim of violence, violated in my trust,
Swollen red, silently screaming “walk away!”
Walk away from anger, walk away from hurt.
Walk away when I would shame my ancestors.

I will not lash out, at my love or myself.
I will cry for my hurt, hug my own scars.
Ghosts of my bullies, to your graves be bound,
I release you now, sink to rise nevermore.

By Hela’s grace, may I be reborn.
By Lofn’s cleansing, I reclaim my heart. 
The forbidden love is love of self. Seeking "right love" means recognizing abusers and not confusing them with friends. At the risk of a cliché, you can't love and care for others unless you first love and care for yourself. 

Before I lit a real candle and the virtual candle at Lofn's shrine, I wrote these words:  

Lofn, permit me and aid me.

Spin the yarn. Dress the loom and place my hands upon it. Teach me to reweave my life with strong threads. Warp and weft. Confidence and competence. Shuttle and shot. Friendship and community. Cross and draft. Priestesshood and service.

Help me discard a veil of shame and silence. Guide me to weave a garment for dancing in vineyards. May it be the colors of gratitude, playfulness, and laughter. May its fringes remind me of my path.

I will offer comfort to the hurt and encourage speech in those who have been silenced. I will name the bullies and sing the praises of those who defeat them.

I will remember you, Lofn, and I will bless the divine presence.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sending me message about this post. Getting to know Frigga's twelve Ladies isn't easy with only a sentence or two surviving on each of them, and it's good to know others are getting something out of my devotional work and writings.

    While my main focus is on the twelve Handmaidens, I've offered prayer to Asherah and applaud those working to revive the cult of other forgotten goddesses. Women really need more spiritual role models and inspirational stories.

    You can find full stories of these goddesses under the story index tab of my blog, and here is the link to Lofn's full Shrine page: https://lofnbard.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/lofn-goddess-of-games-and-forbidden-loves/

    May the Ladies bless you and yours,
    Linda Demissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link. I enjoyed learning more about Lofn; it seems she has many qualities I would like to rely on now. I also followed the link to Wildwoodpath's blog, which I liked, too. Thank you for sharing your the work you've done with Lofn and the Handmaidens.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!