Friday, December 23, 2016

Maccabi

I had the opportunity today to discover that "socialized medicine" in Israel is a good thing.

This morning, my left ear lobe was a little pink and swollen. That's the first symptom of the cellulitis I had three times in Tucson. At first it looks like nothing, but if left untreated, it can become very serious, even fatal. I was terrified.

How, I wondered, do you obtain medical care in an unfamiliar city when you don't speak the language or know who your doctor is? I called someone who has volunteered with Magen David Adom. She didn't answer but I left a message begging her to drop everything and come help me. (I was too pushy, but really, cellulitis is that serious.)

Finally, I looked up the ulpan's website. It indicated that I shouldn't call Tamar before 2 o'clock, but I called immediately. It was about 9 in the morning.

She found Maccabee's phone number, then called them and told me which numbers to press to get to an English speaking representative. He gave me the address of the closest Terem (emergency center). It took forever to find a cab, but once I got there, the long line moved quickly and I saw a doctor very soon. He had seen this before and prescribed IV antibiotics three times a day. (One doctor in the US suggested aspirin and I had to tell her to review my file before she took it seriously.)

After seeing the doctor, I sat in a room with other people awaiting treatment and soon a nurse came in with an IV for me. She asked me if I was allergic to anything. When I said 'penicillin,' she looked embarrassed and left for twenty minutes.

What I finally got was Rocephin/Ceftriaxone IV 1000 mg. (I checked with Google and this isn't recommended for people with kidney disease, but what the hell.)

In a little while, the train stops running for Shabbat, but the clinic is probably closer by foot than by cab, so I'm not worried.

Trying to make my way in Israel has made me feel so alone, but at least I know that I can get help in an emergency.

If intravenous antibiotics are less brutal than oral antibiotics that I took in the States, I should feel better in a few days. And perhaps intravenous treatment will completely eradicate it from my system.

Next week, I am taking a tour to Tsfat and the Golan. (I will, of course, take pictures, but won't be able to post them until I replace the cord that connects my camera and computer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!