Saturday, December 3, 2016

Today will not be seized, at least not by me

So overdue for a blog post. Just thinking of composing complete sentences is exhausting. All I've done for the last several weeks is go to ulpan, sleep, and eat. The weekend always vanishes faster than a dream.

Last night, however, I went to a Karaite shul, at the invitation of someone at the hostel, and this morning to Reform services-- by myself, thankfully. (I had not expected to find a Reform community in Israel, which is one reason that I went to Beit Haverim in Oregon for Rosh HaShannah and Yom Kippur.)

The woman who invited me to the Karaite shul last night propounded some medieval anti-Semitic views while we were walking with her family to to the Old City. (The Jewish prayer book is supposedly no good because it was written by people instead of God; the oral law couldn't have begun with Moses, was written entirely by Rabbi Akivah, and is full of falsehoods.) The shock rather dimmed my awareness of the Karaite service, which was occasionally very familiar and which I might have enjoyed otherwise, and I rushed away from her as soon as the service was over.

After that conversation, I was quite ready to appreciate the new Reform siddur this morning. I know the committee that created it was well versed in tradition, including Reform Judaism. It's a book that I could enjoy studying and learning to pray with.

The Murstein synagogue is quite close to the ulpan and to the apartment that I want. I just need a roommate since it's a two bedroom. I'm going to email the landlady after Shabbos and ask her if I can post a "roommate needed" ad describing her rental. 

Today's parasha was Toldot. I've always loved Esau for building a life and moving forward despite what had been taken from him. It occurs to me that I've never given enough thought to Rebecca and Isaac.

Most of the congregation consisted of young rabbinical students, but there were a couple of "older" rabbis. I really enjoyed the sermon one of them gave. How wonderful that feminism has made inroads for enough time that you can meet a female rabbi who is also a grandmother!

I'm looking forward to meeting the rabbis as they're closer to my age than the rest of the congregation and there's a student I'd also like to chat with: she wears a kippah all day long wherever she is in Jerusalem and she has been keeping a journal of what people say to her about it. (And perhaps, if I get to know people there, I can sit in on some classes.)

They only have services twice a month, which means it will take a long time to become part of the community, but I'll be able to host Shabbos meals when I get that apartment. (I just need to find a roommate-- I wish Aaron would get back to me about whether he knows a Jewish girl who needs a place!)

Oy. All I do on weekends is eat sleep and eat. Feels as if this weekend will be no different...

The main post office on Rahov Yaffo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!