Monday, March 30, 2020

Wide-eyed and Dazed

I went to the outdoor gym this morning. I was inspired not just by lockdown. The elevator of my new building has a full-length mirror and, yesterday, I was horrified to notice that I look like a slovenly, middle-aged woman. None of the clothes shops are open now, if I even enjoyed clothes shopping. Exercise is my only option.

I considered taking the stairs down, instead of the elevator (for health reasons, not vanity), but it seems that even in better neighborhoods, Israelis take no pride in their surroundings. Never mind the kids' bikes, why does the Va'ad not clear out the door and bed frame? It has been like that since I moved in 12 days ago.


It was beautiful outside at 10:30. I took a couple of pictures after I crossed the street to the gym, but then put my phone away. There's no point in wearing gloves if you're going to play with your phone.


The machines are actually very good and I also stretched out the night's stiffness.

A man came to work out, too. He asked if we were allowed to be there. I had been wondering that myself, and told him I didn't know. (This evening, the gym was cordoned off, so I guess the answer is, "No.")

I missed a call from Ichilov Hospital while I was at the gym. They were probably wondering why I'd missed my oncology appointment. Listen to your voice messages! I told you I live in Eilat and can't leave the city! Hey, I was lucky that I even got through to voice mail; that was the first time I've gotten through in the two years I've been dealing with them.

It was another unproductive day. I exchanged text messages, read Facebook posts, and scrolled through headlines on my news feed. I texted Damien and said I'd pick up the Passover bonus from him after lock-down is over. One article someone posted lead me to amputate my fingernails; that may have been most productive moment of the day other than cleaning three rugs. Strangely, I still have tons of unread email messages.

Most of the day, I felt dazed and every limb and muscle felt weighed down. The black circles around my vacant eyes seem to say that I haven't slept in weeks. But I have slept, and pretty well, too.

Today, I was scheduled to fly out of Ramon Airport to visit my friend, Maya, and her family in St. Petersburg.

I didn't have internet when I first moved, so I couldn't cancel my flight reservations. Today, Maya took it upon herself to try to get me a refund or to reschedule my flights. She spent hours working on it! I was so grateful she wanted to do that for me. After she gathered all the info from several different airlines, there was a technical issue on the website, but a few minutes later received a refund receipt via email.

Thankfully, Maya had not purchased opera or theater tickets that would go to waste.

Gosh! I'm still really excited about visiting!! Knock on wood that it will happen.

My calendar had instructed me to go online and apply for unemployment (in Hebrew) this morning, but I couldn't find the energy. I decided to go outside for a short walk, but sat half dressed in front of my laptop for an hour.

I ate lunch, considered studying Hebrew, and then took a nap. (All while Maya was working fervently on my behalf.)

At some point during the day, I brought my altar out of the closet. I mean that literally. I'd set it up in a cupboard since there was space in there at eye level and because I'd thought a small studio apartment would look neater with fewer things out.

I felt better after putting it out on the kitchen counter.

Altar and... disposable gloves...

When I finally went outside, at 6 p.m., I was astounded by the views. The hills made me feel both grounded and hundred times lighter.  These are the hills in which I hunted for rocks with Arlan after my first session with my online counsellor. She had instructed me to get in touch with the land, because I didn't feel connected to Eilat. I still have the first rock that Arlan found; it's the reddish pyramid-shaped item in front of the kiddush cup on my altar.

Cats ran to me this evening! They were still skittish when I came close to put food down, but they know who I am and there are many more of them.

Passover prep has begun for most people. They haven't let lock-down discourage them from the exertion of Passover cleaning. In Israel, that means abandoning dishes, furniture, and other valuables near the trash. I saw some men come by in a large cab to take an entire set of white living-room furniture. Unfortunately, the end tables wouldn't fit in the van, too. The cab driver sounded annoyed that they were still trying to put more in the van.

I took the much lighter cat food bag upstairs, changed gloves, and grabbed my phone and wallet for a walk through Canada Gardens to the market.

The light wasn't as good by that time, but here are some of the shots I took before shopping at the store. (There are quite a few cats at the top of Canada Gardens; I'll have to add that area to my evening walk.)

Zoomed in view of archaeological site from
one entrance of my building
The gym to the north is definitely closed
Beautiful clouds behind the hills in the west
The top of Canada Gardens, east of and below my building
The top of Canada Gardens
(Yay, Montreal!)
Socially distanced mincha/maariv minyan at
the shul, just below the first playground
Girl and dog

The store was not crowded at 7. I texted Arlan, hoping to see him, but we missed each other.

There was no matza in stock yet. I considered carrying a bag of cat food home; the one I purchased just two (?) days ago is more than half gone. I think I'll call DagiDog and have them deliver a large bag. I'd like to support Limor's shop on Sderot HaTmarim, as she helps stray animals in the Yealim neighborhood.

Oddly, I purchased two food I've eschewed for since the new (secular) year: Jello and Yoplait Strawberry Yogurt. For eight months after my surgeries, they were the only foods I could eat. Now they seem like comfort food, perhaps because I survived that time?

John had tried to call me while I was shopping. He found someone who helps with "assimilation issues." (Funny how there are more helpful Israelis during a crisis.) He asked him for help with the unemployment website. John told him I'd be calling, too, and gave me his number.

The two "cards of the day" on my phone apps are The Hanged Man from The Robin Wood Tarot and The World from The Tarot of Trees. It's seems an apropos combination, but never today did I have the energy to think it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!