Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bentley Blockade and Social License

I learned the term "social license" today. It's the idea that people are more powerful than corporations. (Corporations will, no doubt, learn to use the term for their own benefit, but for now, let's be optimists.)

from http://www.ecocitizenaustralia.com.au
Last year, a friend in Australia mentioned meetings in her local community that she was attending to learn about fracking. At that time, all I knew about fracking was that it had created a boom (figuratively speaking) in North Dakota.

I'd read that long-term residents near the North Dakota oil fields weren't happy with the damage to the community and the environment, but…  Jobs! One woman, found work transporting gas, after both she and her husband had been out of work for nearly two years. She was one of only two female truckers working in a place with virtually no law and order, so she carried an iron bar with her at all times in case she needed to defend herself. There were health risks, too, but she was able to send money (lots of money) home to her husband and daughter.

That and other articles I'd read about fracking in the U.S. barely mentioned environmental damage and I didn't look any further than those articles. Because… Jobs!

Susan's posts about fracking and her links to documentaries and to websites opened my eyes. But protesting?

"Good luck with that, folks," was the thought that I kept to myself.

The Australian gas company, Metgasco, ignored the opposition of local people, but that wasn't the end of the story. All the talkers stood up! Since early March, the Bentley Blockade has been gaining more attention and more support. Susan passes the blockade on her way to work so I've seen pictures and videos of the campsite as it has grown and visitors have increased.

I am filled with hope.

How will the gas company and the politicians respond? Other protests in Australia have had some success. If these blockaders prevail, will it make a difference elsewhere?

At the very least, it will make all the difference there.

And imagine how children at the Bentley Blockade will view their role in the world.

by Susan McGeever

by Susan McGeever


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!