Thursday, July 21, 2016

Upper World Teacher

Last night, I made two cups of tea, for myself and my teacher. I did feel that she was present in my home. I also began reading Cave and Cosmos by Michael Harner. 

This morning, I still felt her presence as I did various things. Later, I opened my Kindle to continue reading. Suddenly, the page changed and I read this:
Why does the teacher not stay in the Middle World permanently to heal and help? One of the reasons is because the shaman cannot long maintain the concentration necessary to continue the merging or embodiment.
The Kindle had jumped 120 pages ahead. My Kindle has never done that before, so I think my teacher made it happen to tell me that she might not be staying or that I might become less aware of her presence.

On a different note, Harner writes that "it is unsafe not to know shamanism" because we all need help and protection. I've been wondering why I haven't met an animal and why the lower world seemed felt lifeless in all but one of my lower world journeys. 
Shamans, unlike most other people, do not have to wait until things go wrong in their lives to realize that they have lost their spiritual power connections. Through the journey method, they can discover, well before the symptoms of power loss or powerlessness occur, whether they are still connected to their power animals. The method is simple: when they repeatedly journey and call upon their power animals for help, and no power animal appears, then the shamans realize their power animals have left them. Knowing this before misfortune occurs makes it possible for shamans to take action to get the power connection restored.
I will journey today and ask my teacher if she will help me meet a power animal. (But first, I will ask her what her name is.)

"When [shamans] repeatedly journey and call upon their power animals for help, and no power animal appears, then the shamans realize their power animals have left them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!