Tuesday, April 14, 2020

21 Nissan 5780, Fifth Day of the Counting of the Omer

A visit to the hospital today, for the same thing I got last Passover, in the States: a painful intestinal blockage caused by scar tissue from my surgeries.

Alessandra has helped me through two of these episodes. Since they usually last three or more days, she was worried. She called the Macabi nurses' hotline for a conference call with the nurse who ordered an ambulance to take me to Yoseftal.

(I bet my neighbors were worried when an ambulance arrived in our parking lot with it's siren going.)

The hospital is not as close to my new place as I'd thought. When we arrived, the staff wouldn't let me into the emergency room. (Apparently, vomiting is a symptom of corona virus.) So the EMT took me to the building where the corona isolation unit and corona admission is. I was checked by a male nurse who sent me back to the regular ER.

The pain decreased enough after I arrived at the hospital that I napped quite a bit during the hours I spent there.

Lab work and x-rays indicated nothing wrong with me. Um... I disagree. (So, for the next few days, I'll follow the advice that American doctors gave me before they discharged me from the hospital in Oregon last year: liquid diet only.)

I caught a cab home. The weather was so unusual! Yellow dust surrounded the hills completely obscuring views of the Gulf and the hills of Jordan. The air didn't seem sandy to me and the breeze was gentle and temperate.


The abdominal pain resumed after I arrived home, but I was in much better shape than I had been in the morning. Although I would have preferred to collapse into bed, I felt compelled to shower and wash the clothing I'd been wearing all over the hospital and corona building.

Later, Arlan met me at the top of Canada Gardens while I dried my hair and tried to enjoy the late afternoon.

Someone had drawn this cat with chalk in the park.


Arlan reminded me that strict lockdown resumes tomorrow, the seventh day of Pesach and the beginning of Mimouna. Stores will be closed. He's going to give me some more of Pascal's food for tomorrow night's cat feeding. (I'm skipping tonight).

I bought myself some yogurt and jello at the shop so I'll have something to eat tomorrow. I haven't eaten today, but I think I'm exhausted enough to sleep through the night.

On my way home, three cats chased me for food, so I fed them with the stash I keep in my purse.

Candle lighting will be at 6:45.

Here are Rabbi Sacks's words for the Sixth Day, which begins tonight:

You are as great as your ideals. If you truly believe in something beyond yourself,
you will achieve beyond yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!