Friday, April 17, 2020

Taking the Air

I really enjoyed my walk to SuperPharm in the Shachaon neighborhood this morning. (MacabiPharm would be cheaper for me, but it's farther from my new home.)

It was another lovely day and it was nice to be somewhere different for a change. A couple of people were out walking their dogs and some city gardeners were working.

The uphill walk home wasn't fun, but it seemed to give me more energy and clarity of thought this afternoon.  Is it possible that exercise is good for you?

Here's a view down Nachal Shachamon toward the Gulf of Aqaba and the hills of Jordan. The line of figures is an art installation called "Pilgrimage to Mecca." Before modern air travel, this was part of the pilgimmage route from Egypt to Mecca.


In the past, while riding the bus, I've only seen this view of the Little Prince kikar. (In this case, the word means, "traffic circle.")


While walking today, I was able to make a detour to see the whole kikar and to get a shot of the front illuminated by the morning sun.


Here's another shot down Nachal Shachamon that I took when returning home:


Balancing my checking account, reviewing my credit card statement, and making a couple of calls to my bank in the States, were not stressful. In fact, I finished all those things in very little time and didn't quite know what to do with the rest of my day.

I was surprised to find that the IRS has deposited a stimulus check in my account. I guess we're not supposed to thank Trump, but... uh, Thank you, Mr. President!

Just before candle-lighting, I fed the cats and afterward went to Canada Gardens. I shared some love with Louie (the cat) before meeting Arlan near the store. We sat and walked and sat some more.

The evening was perfect, with occasional gentle breezes, soft light, rustling leaves, and active birds. I commented that I would look back on lock-down and all the opportunities it has given us to just appreciate where we live.

Arlan had spent the day making more detailed plans for a trip to Patagonia. I was very pleased to realize, that his various travel plans aren't quarantine-related fantasies-- HE'S GOING TO MAKE THESE TRIPS!

I've run out of disposable gloves and stores near me don't carry them anymore. I guess I've gotten used to them, because I felt naked and vulnerable without them. As a result, I didn't want to go in the store to buy juice or soft food for tomorrow. (I am feeling better, but it'll be a while before I dare eat solid food.) 

In the news: Cooking shows. I'm sick of episodes of "Middle East Eat" being shown every time I turn on  the news. No, not every time; today i24 kept re-running an interview with a dipshit who should not be in charge of dealing with antisemitism. He doesn't know the causes of antisemitism. He thinks it's possible to eradicate antisemitism. Worst of all, he hasn't mastered English! He said this, during the interview, "In Portugal, people know that we use the blood of Christian children for Passover." Geezus!

In other news: British bobbies are not the sweet fatherly figures we've led to believe. They're petty tyrants-- or not so petty-- in fact, rather Orwellian. Brits are not being as conscientious as Israelis about social distancing (I'm still kind of stunned about Israels following rules), but by no means do the English need to be ruled over so harshly. As far as I'm concerned, sunbathing is exercise, it's "taking the air."

BBC Headline: "Exercise Out of the Home Could Be Banned." Kelly-Ann was sort of right. Authorities are responding oppressively to so-called flouting of the rules. However, it looks to me as if British authorities would have done that even if there had been no "flouting."

This evening doesn't really feel like Shabbos, to me. Next week, I'll spend more of Friday preparing and I'll also ask Arlan to welcome Shabbos in with me over the phone. And I'll read some uplifting in the afternoon rather than watching the news.

Shabbat shalom on the ninth day of the Counting of the Omer, which begins tonight:

Seen through the eye of faith, today’s curse
may be the beginning of tomorrow’s blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!