Sunday, April 5, 2020

Go, Packers!

According to someone in the English-speakers book club, I slept through an earthquake this morning.

A few weeks ago, I had dismissed the Corvid-19 and Friday-the-13th-storm predictions as the panicked predictions of English-speakers unable to watch the news in Hebrew.  So this morning, knowing that Armageddon really has begun, I confirmed this news. [It's Covid, not Corvid... interesting typo.]
A light earthquake happened this morning, south of Eilat, but felt in our region. It was of magnitude 4.3, in the region of Nuweiba. The shaking was felt in the region, but there are as yet no reports of damage.
Okay. Yup. Earthquake.

So much for stories of tectonic plates calming down since humans stopped rumbling around on the planet.

I also received a text from Macabi Health Services this morning. Doctors will be referring patients for corona tests. I wondered who qualifies. (Someone from Macabi apparently tried to call me in the afternoon, so it's possible that I qualify.)

Yesterday was the modern holiday of Yom Aliyah. No one brought me cake. However, assistance for olim (immigrants) sites have suddenly burgeoned.

Instead of watching the news, I binge-watched Manitowoc Minute videos on YouTube. Charlie Berens is from a town that is known for the fragment of Sputnik IV that hit North 8th Street in 1962. And for him-- he's durn funny. 

Having spent about 10 hours watching all his videos, I can point you to his very best: How to Make A Bloody Mary (and donate supplies to hospitals) - Quarantine Kitchen.

This afternoon, the sky was overcast and beautiful. It was a little warm, but definitely cooler than it usually is this late in the year. (Hey, Armaggedon ain't all bad.)


Canada Gardens and the whole neighborhood were as silent and abandoned as they were yesterday.

 

Passover supplies are in! Things an American would never dream of during the holiday, such as Nestle Crunch Cereal. (Who thinks of these things?)


My trip to the store yielded most of the ingredients for Turkish charoset (charosis-- does that clear things up?). I had picked this particular recipe because I knew I wouldn't find the spices I need for my usual charoset. So, I wasn't asking for anything too unusual, just some gosh darn cinnamon (קינמון). Too much to ask, apparently.


For a scary moment, I thought Israel's supply chain had failed me, but the stockers had just relocated the Tuborg Red. By the way, who picked this name for a beer sold in Israel?

 

Efes is the Hebrew word for zero. That's kinda like selling No Va automobiles in Mexico.

I spent quite a bit of time in Canada Gardens before heading home with my groceries.

Thanks to some Canadian Jews, we have a beautiful park:


Thanks to Israelis, we have big, orange garbage bin right at the entrance of the park:

 

A sign in the lobby of my buiding bothered me:


Note to other Hebrew students: it doesn't mean what you think it does. (It's an advertisement for a studio apartment.)

This evening, a break in the clouds reflected the sun in a way I've never seen before. A kitten ran a whole block for food when she saw me. A pickup truck with two Israeli flags and two Eilati flags, and blasting mizrachi music, passed me before I crossed the street to Canada Gardens.

The moon is almost full. The areas by the dumpsters also indicate that Pesach is near: people must have spent the day emptying their homes.

The friendly lap-cat in Canada Gardens, who I've named Louie, is a bully. But he's my bully.

He probably shouldn't hiss at dogs who are four times bigger than he his. He got overexcited when some other cats approached some of the handfuls of food I'd put out. I have the scratches on my leg to show for it. He followed me up Canada Gardens and lounged by me on a bench for a while, but ran off when a fluffy, well-fed cat sauntered by.

It hadn't registered before today. No kids are playing in the playgrounds, which are officially closed. But while the adults' outdoor gym had to be cordoned off, none of the playgrounds needed to be. Perhaps Israelis discipline their kids more than I give them credit for.

When I returned to my building, the sun was behind the hills. The hill tops stretching over toward Sinai reminded me of Mordor in The Lord of the Rings. Most cloudy days make me think of that book.

Luna, a cat with a quarter moon on her back, strolled casually to the recycling bins to eat her now-taken-for-granted dinner. There was only one kitty by the first trash container, but lots of others by the second. They are still afraid of me.

I think that the sick, white kitty may be blind-- but no one messes with her!

There weren't many cats by the other building in my complex. The fat and fluffy cat seemed more interested in following me around and giving me a piece of her mind.

There seemed to be no end to Manitowoc Minute videos, so no books were read and no Hebrew was studied at my place today.

I exchanged some texts with Yossi. He sent me several pictures of a kitten who adopted him in February. The cat's name is Sultán Hayyim de las Sombras, Primero de Su Nombre y Asesino de Arañas (Sultan Hayyim of Shadows, First of His Name and Slayer of Spiders).

 

The Queen gave her long-awaited speech this evening. (She's just five months younger than my mom would be.) I believe that if I were a Brit, I'd be quite proud, reassured, and perhaps even filled with confidence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!