Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Lockdown nears its complete end

This morning, from my window, I could see a traffic jam on Harim Road! People are getting back to work!

Bus #5 took me past The Dan Hotel. I waved happily-- work may begin again in a week. 

Hot didn't open until ten o'clock, so I walked to Mercaz Big. I bought an ice cafe from Cafe Cafe and Sivan Rahav-Meir's book from Steimansky Books. People were eating at tables outside Cafe Cafe, but the indoor tables were gone. Some of the other restaurants still had their tables, but they weren't open yet, so I don't know if they planned to let people sit there.

At Hot they took our temperatures and let us in two at a time.

The woman took my old modem and gave me a receipt! (I'll call my bank in the States tonight to ensure that Hot stop charging me.) Unfortunately, there was nothing she could do about getting my internet and television working.

I texted Jeff and he said we'd call Hot together tomorrow.

On the way back, Bus #6 also passed The Dan. I got off by the Central Bus Station, hoping to get into Misrad HaPnim.

They had each person fill out a form and they took our temperatures before letting us in the post office / government offices building. We had to stand two meters apart and the entry to security was marked with red tape. It goes against the grain because in Israel you learn that people will jump the line if you leave them any space at all to do so.

There were limits on the number of people in the elevators, so I just took the stairs up to Misrad HaPnim. Two other customers explained needed an appointment to go in. I sat there, on hold, and eventually the security guard ask me something. I said I needed an appointment and showed him my phone. He wished me luck and then asked me what I needed. "Just a change of address? Come on in."

Every other seat was marked with an X and everyone was conscientious about wearing masks. I was there perhaps four minutes. My address has been changed on my Teudat Zehut (identification card).

I figured that I might as well try to get into the Macabi office or at least find out what number I needed to call to make an appointment. There, the security guard simply took my temperature and let me in. Then it was business as usual. I think the woman was saying that I needed to change my address online, but I told her I didn't have internet, and she changed the records for me. I gave her the bill from Yoseftal and she attached it to some other paperwork for processing. They she told me I need a mamogram in August and began the process of preparing an "obligation form" for Yoseftal. (It didn't occur to me that I should ask her about my August oncology appointment at Ichilov.)

Before Macabi, I stopped in the clothing store on the off chance that my pants might be ready. They weren't but I did find two light, long sleeved shirts. My wardrobe is looking rather old, so the purchases seemed justifiable.

All in all, it was a very productive morning! When that happens in Israel--it's so rare-- I get quite happy about it.

I'd say the number of people out and about in town was less than a quarter of the number I'd usually see. People may still be scared of the virus, but they may just have been avoiding the heat wave, (which, oddly, has not bothered me). This evening, there were more people in the outdoor gym than exercise equipment.

In the measly news feed on my phone: a few teachers have gotten sick.

I don't think Israelis will tolerate another lock down unless kids are at risk.

After all that good luck, I was not feeling to eager to spend the afternoon on hold with Hot. So I texted Arlan and got off the bus by his place. (The bus was packed, standing room only. So social distancing is not being universally enforced.) Arlan and I talked for a while and I brushed Pascal.

I procrastinated for about half an hour after I returned home, but then called Hot. Eventually, someone gave me the phone number of a different company to call about connecting the internet. After I call that company (HotNet), I can call Hot again to get internet. That person then transferred me to a different department to ask for my television to be reconnected. I was transferred three times, left on hold for quite a while, and then someone told me she'd call me back it three hours. (That was at 4:15 in the afternoon, so it seems unlikely.) Then I called the "other" company regarding my internet. Same hold music, same messages. I gave up after half an hour on hold and texted Jeff. We'll meet tomorrow after my doctor's appointment. Hopefully he'll have better luck.

The weather has been quite warm, in the high 40s Celsius, but it's not bothering me. Sometimes my mask is soaking wet, so that's a bit of a bother. However, because of the heat wave, the regulation to wear a mask will be lifted from today until Friday.

At first, I thought there were no cats around this evening. Their habits have just changed because of the heat. 

The evening began the 41st day of the Omer:

Listening is the greatest gift we can give to another human being. 


I've never before managed to remember to count the Omer all forty-nine days. In fact, I usually forget early in the first week. This may be a first...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I enjoy hearing from my readers and getting a chance to see their blogs, too!